Annual General Meeting, 21 June 2019, Theberton & Eastbridge Village Hall, 7.30pm, Agenda and Minutes
Welcome and Apologies for Absence (received from Michael Gower, Richard Smith, Charles Macdowell, Roy Dowding)
Part I – Official Business
1. Proposal for 2019/20 Steering Group members.
All 11 current Steering Group members put themselves forward to stand again; there were no further nominations from the floor. Sue Ashton, Stephen Brett, Paul Collins, Martin Cooper, Roy Dowding, Alison Downes, Robert Flindall, Alan Hatt, Charles Macdowell, John Rea Price and Amy Whitelock were re-appointed.
2. Approval of Annual Report and Financial Statement.
a) Annual Report: Paul Collins presented the Annual Report, highlighting the Society’s activities and achievements during the last twelve months. See https://stopsizewellc.org/annual-reports. There were no questions from the floor.
b) Financial Statement: Sue Ashton gave a short presentation of the Society’s financial position and financial controls. See link above. There were no questions from the floor.
Robert Flindall proposed that the Annual Report and Financial Statement be approved, seconded by Martin Cooper. There were no objections. Sue Ashton signed the Financial Statement.
Part II – Future Activities
3. Plans for 2019/20
Alison Downes gave a short overview of future priorities, including
- Meeting new East Suffolk Council representatives, especially in relation to EDF’s application to relocate Sizewell B facilities;
- Objecting to EDF’s idea of a £6 levy on UK energy customers’ bills as part of a new financing model for Sizewell C;
- Monitoring government policy, including the expected release of an Energy White Paper in the coming weeks/months
- Engaging with National Policy Statement consultations;
- A Public Meeting featuring a guest speaker from Hinkley Point
- Grassroots support-building through a presence at Latitude Festival
- Collaboration with groups working on wind farm projects as strategically appropriate.
- Working with Parish Councils to strengthen input from statutory consultees.
- Councillor Richard Smith observed that SCC and SCDC are visiting Hinkley Point themselves next week, and that their engagement wth EDF has been pushed back to May/June.
Questions and suggestions from the floor related to future government policy and uncertainties, the timing of forthcoming meetings, and ways to increase engagement with Parish Councils.
Part III – Steering Group Meeting
Appointment of Officers (Chair/Co Chairs, Secretary and Treasurer)
Matters Arising from our last meeting on 20 May 2019
Updates since the last meeting, including future meetings
Items for Decision: Hinkley meeting, insurance, participation in Environment Agency meeting
Funds, Finances & Administrative matters
Any Other Business
5 The Steering Group will next meet on 15 July